PRONEC was created in December 2013 and has accomplished a rigorous process to become a registered Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) in Uganda.
The initiative to start PRONEC rose out of the gap for lack of optical, dental, nutritional services in the health facilities of surrounding areas and communities. Private clinics were and are still too expensive for ordinary people to afford. Eye care, dental services, and nutrition education are not addressed as a priority in the formal health settings provided for the public such as hospitals and government clinics.
This lack of resources predominantly affect poor people, who cannot afford to travel to the town centers in order to access the services they require.
PRONEC provides services throughout rural areas of Jinja district in Uganda.
- Vision exams and eyesight tests
- Affordable optical services
- Outreach screening for eye defects
- Nutrition Education
- HIV/AIDS education and services
- Participated in a treatment camp where community members received free eye treatment from a visiting team of surgeons from Germany
- Referred patients for better medical attention to facilities that can effectively treat them
- Built partnership with the local authorities in the district
- Collaborated with other serving organisations including Bazungu e-v of Germany
- Engaged in community mobilisation activities, especially voluntary HIV/AIDS counseling and testing
- Capacity building through personnel training and institutional development.
PRONEC hopes to…
- Operate a fully-fledged eye and dental-care clinic
- Provision mobile community services to the elderly and children
- Improve the health, wellbeing and standards of life of the rural poor in the community
- Continue HIV/AIDS education and sensitization
- Advocate for affordable, accessible eye care, dental services, nutrition education for the most vulnerable, especially the elderly, women and children
|Bazungu e.V. (Germany)|
|Uganda Health And Eye Care Association|
Head of Program
Responsible for the coordination of all day to day activities. B.S., Social Sciences.
Head of finance.
Responsible for all financial records, reporting, accounting , administration. B.S., Commerce, Accounting.
Programme Officer, Service Delivery.
Responsible for the outreach activities, clinical operations. Diploma, Clinical Medicine.
Programme Officer Training
Responsible for all training activities in communities and schools, assisted by volunteer trainers. B.A., Adult and Community Education.
|The PRONEC logo was designed by Miss. Daphine Walussa.|